It is summer and a lot of girls I know want either an ombré or a beach blond summer hair for the warmer months – and so do I! My hair is naturally dark blond and it is not so difficult to get it lighter – but I prefer to steer clear of harsh chemical lighteners, that’s why I have tried many great homemade recipes that have worked for me, it takes a little time to lighten your hair by up to two shades, but it work! These natural ingredients will also condition your hair instead of damage it.
Here are a few different lightening methods for you willing to lighten your hair naturally (P.S. If you have black or dark brown hair it may not work as you wish – you may get some lighter highlights but not blond):
1. Honey and Vinegar: You may be used to add honey to conditioner and shampoo to moisturize your hair but did you know that honey treatments offers a natural lightening process to your hair? It works due to the natural hydrogen perioxide that is found in natual honey. You have to apply it onto dump hair and the results will depend on how well your hair absorbs the honey:
- 2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of raw uncooked honey
- 1 extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Mix all the ingredients together and apply onto your hair making sure that you get it evenly distributed. Wrap your hair in plastic wrap, put a shower or a swim cap on to keep it warm. Leave the mixture on over night and wash it in the morning.
2. Tea: specifically chamomile tea is a great lightening agent and it also offers a number of properties that will keep your hair sleek and healthy:
- 1 Tea bag
Simply boil the water and steap the tea bag for 10 minutes. Wait 5 minutes for the tea to cool down and just rinse your hair with it and sit in the sun for 30 minutes.
3. Cinnamon: It is very good lightner and it also smells great. I tried it two weeks ago and I can tell you that this awesome smell will stay for about a week, it works right away but the highlights turn a little red though.
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon powder
- 3 tablespoons Conditioner
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Mix all together and evenly coat your hair from top to bottom. Wrap your hair in plastic wrap, put a shower or a swim cap on and leave the mixture on over night washing it in the morning.
- Rub some of the paste onto the back of your hand and leave for 5-10 minutes to make sure you’re not allergic to cinnamon.
- Cinnamon creates a warm tingle but it shouldn’t burn. Don’t try it if your scalp is too sensitive.
- Don’t try it if you are blond! You may get a strawberry blond with some brown highlights!
- Take care to not make a mess wherever you apply it, cause it will be difficult to clean up.
- Also wash your hair very well, cinnamon sticks to your hair like crazy!
4. Apple cider vinegar: It takes a bit of time for this to work but just rinsing your hair with water and vinegar will help to lighten it:
- 1 part vinegar
- 6 parts water
Leave the rinse on your hair. Doing it on a regular basis will lighten your hair over the time.
5. Lemon: Lemon works better if you have blond hair already, brunette may get red or orange highlights:
- 1 cup of water
- 2 table spoons of lemon juices
Apply the mixture to your hair and just sit in the sunlight until your hair dries. This is a more subtle way to lighten hair.